Sunday, March 20, 2011

HELLO FROM... LESS MEDICATED

I'm making a big move.

For many, it may seem banal. But for myself, I know I risk my sanity. I've decided that I can no longer deal with the weight gain that is the side effect of my medications. Unfortunately, this means reducing meds that have been very effective for me until now. While it has been really (and I mean really, really, really) helpful, it's made my eating out of control enough to depress me and cause me to self-harm more frequently the past two weeks.

I know it's the meds because I've been restricting more and working out regularly and I'll drop one pound a week. Maybe. And I've been abusing laxies more which is something I almost never due. But I've simply gotten that desperate. All in all, it's not worth it for me to take this strength of meds if it's going to result in me getting more engulfed in my ED and cruddy mood. I mean this is not 5 or 10 pounds we're talking about here. It's 30. And as if I didn't have enough problems with weight and food.

So, while I'm not planning to entirely get off my drugs (I mean, I do need to retain some semblance of humanity, here.), I would like to taper down a bit. I'm reducing my 800 mg of Seroquel at night, though I'll keep the 25 mg 3x a day. Within the last month I've tapered down my Depakote 250mg 3x a day to 125 mg 2x a day. I'm happy staying there for now. I have more faith with tapering down on Depakote since I haven't been on it as long and it's not my "main" one. The Seroquel I am nervous about. I started tapering down yesterday and took 700 mg. I will keep tapering till I get down to 500 or 600 mg, depending on how things go. No major withdrawal yet since it probably is still in my blood. However, I am veryyyyyy tired. I think this might be from some mild depression settling in due to the decrease in Seroquel that's making me want to crawl into bed all day. I also had mild halluncinations last night, but nothing too horrible.

Sorry for a dull entry filled with so many numbers. Wish me luck! I hope this helps.

5 comments:

  1. ugh, I gained so much weight on seroquel and risperdal. Since I have quit taking them my anxiety has been worse, but what the doctors dont understand is that when I was taking them and gaining weight I had MAJOR anxiety about my weight and body!
    So, I totally understand. I have never suffered from hallucinations, so I dont know alot about that. Be careful, I guess.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. u just had a big message here and it got deleted. anyway, as an alternative to seroquel there's a new drug called Zeldox (in Canada...ziprasidone is it's generic name) and it has the same effects as seroquel but no side effects. i'm on a prozac/zeldox combo with seroquel PRN through out the day. 800mg of seroquel at bedtime is likely quite sedating so you may need to talk to your dr about a sleep aid (i take trazedone, clonazepam, ativan, and 50 of seroquel) if you have trouble sleeping.

    i quite the high doses of seroquel i was on after i freaked about my weight too. cold turkey, not good. i'm glad you're tapering because it would be dangerous to go off such a high dose fast.

    i've never been on depakote so i don't know anything about it. i do know that if some drugs aren't working for you there is a right combo out there that will. mine right now is a little weak, still a little depressed and high anxiety but i have my PRNs for that. the depression for me could be a multitude of factors.

    i dunno, i hope you've spoken with your dr about this because it's a scary thing to do alone.

    take care,
    jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I did a little research (I'm a drug nerd) and ziprasidone is "Geodon" in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geodon. Good to know. My dr wanted to put me on that last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it going with the med changes? You haven't been posting which can be a bad sign...

    ReplyDelete