Wednesday, July 20, 2011

HELLO FROM... SCHOOL BOUND

So, it's final!

I'm moving to the bay on the 18th of August. I had planned for the 12th, but I honestly couldn't imagine having a whole two weeks before school. I know for some this is small peas (is that the idiom?), but being alone is a huge trigger for me. It also would've made my next trip back to Los Angeles, three weeks instead of two. I talked it over with my mom and she agreed that it would probably be too much for me to handle all at once in the beginning. Plus, I really didn't feel like starting off an emotional wreck.

Things to do before I move:

- Finish my thesis (I don't know why I'm having such a hard time making this happen. I need to
just swallow my anxiety about perfection/failure and just DO IT. It's only two 20 page
chapters. I should technically be able to push it out in a week.)
- Research and find a long-term therapist and psychiatrist up north. Set up appointments. Also
make crisis plan just in case of emergency.
- Prepare for the class I'm co-teaching
- Create final schedule for fall
- Pack
- Spend time with friends and family

It's exciting, but scary too! Getting my PhD is a dream come true but I know that it won't be a cake walk for many reasons -- my mental health being one obstacle. Wish me luck and stability as I transition into a new chapter of my life!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Actually, I am really impresssed at all you have been able to accomplish despite your struggles. A PhD, that is a huge deal!
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that you can get through all this stuff you have coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. small POTATOES. Although I think I like "small peas" better :)

    I'd be happier if you weren't moving to SF - I loathe SF for reasons that are completely arbitrary and unfounded - but congratulations are in order! Good for you - not just for getting in, but for knowing how to prepare yourself for it. That's like, MORE than half the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA! potatoes!
    Well, hopefully this battle can be won. Thanks for the supportive words. :)

    ReplyDelete